Thursday, August 16, 2012

New Job (For Real This Time)

I have a job!

I've been working since August 2nd (wow, two full weeks now) as a Jr. Project Manager at Amirsys, Inc.  Yeah, I'd never heard of them before applying either.  They do medical software and I've learned a lot more about pathology than I ever thought I'd need to know.

It was an interesting, and very quick, process to get the job.  I applied on a Tuesday morning and received a phone call from the recruiting HR guy by Tuesday afternoon.  We set up a phone interview for Wednesday morning.  The interview went well enough I guess because by Wednesday afternoon I had a face-to-face interview set up for Friday.

On Friday I went into the office and met with 6 people.  It was a little intimidating at first being there with so many people but it got really comfortable really quick.  I guess they liked me as much as I liked them because later Friday afternoon we'd set up a lunch appointment to talk further for Monday.

Less than an hour after lunch on Monday I received another phone call from the recruiting HR guy to let me know that they were going to send me an offer.  I accepted the offer Tuesday afternoon and started working the following Thursday.

So it took 10 days from application to first day.  Pretty quick and pretty awesome if you ask me.

Even though the software is used by mostly doctors or medical students, I've found it to be very interesting.  Luckily I don't have to know a lot about medicine to understand how the software itself works.  At the base of it, all software is the same - databases and code.

They started me off getting into managing just one project and, from what I've heard, it was their plan to have me up to speed on only that one project for when my boss went out of town (he'll be out for two weeks, starting only 7 business days after I started the job - which is why my first day was so soon after receiving an offer).  But I guess I caught onto that project quick enough that now they have me doing a lot of work on another, much bigger and more complicated, project as well.

I didn't realize how difficult it would be getting back into work mode.  For the first 7 months of the year I had gotten used to being pretty lazy.  Now I have to get back into the mode of getting up early (I'm even using the treadmill before work a few days a week!), running errands on my way home, and being really good at creating and following my personal to do list.

Overall, I'm really happy about working again, I am really happy about the work environment, and I'm really looking forward to staying at Amirsys long-term.

No comments: