Friday, November 23, 2012

Christmas Decorations

On the Friday after Thanksgiving I like to get the Christmas decorations out, so that's exactly what I did today.  I've been excited about today for a long time - since last December.  Last year on the day after Christmas I bought decorations for a whole new color theme - a white tree with only green ornament.  And now that it is all put together I can officially say that I love it!

Anyway, I also made a new wreath this year.  It is based off of all the picture frame wreaths with ornaments that you see all over Pinterest.  Instead of using a square frame I wanted to use a round one, so it was more wreath-like.  Sadly, the white oval frame that I found and loved wasn't on sale like every other frame at Michael's that day and I wasn't about to pay $20 for it.  Instead I found a round piece of MDF that is made for making wreaths - it cost less than $4.

All the materials that were needed for this super easy project were the circle, some ribbon, some extra ornaments, white paint, a paint brush, and hot glue.

Step 1: Paint the MDF white.  I wish I would have had a smaller paint brush to get the inside and outside edges but I made due with what I already had.


Step 2: Place the ornaments on some of the ribbon and make a bow out of some of the other ribbon.  I made the bow directly on the wreath so I wouldn't have to worry about gluing it on.

Step 3: Glue the ornament's ribbon to the top, middle of the wreath and glue down the bow's ends.  Originally I was just going to try to tie everything onto the wreath so I could re-use the ornaments and plain white wreath other years but I couldn't figure out how to get that to work with the type of hanging device I had.  Oh well, I guess this just means I don't have to make another wreath when I do this color theme again.

Done.  I think the wreath would look a lot better on my red door if we didn't have a door knocker but whatever.

For your viewing pleasure, here are images of my other decorations:

These are my favorite ornaments on my tree.

The first is a bottomless glass ornament with some tiny pine cones in the middle and some ever-green-like painting on the outside.  Even though the brown doesn't fit 100% with my green only theme, I love this ornament and if the store had more I would have purchased more.

The second is just some glittery green branch like stuff with some glittery green pine cones.  I just set these on some of my white branches to add some tree-like green to the white tree.

The third is a green poinsettia.  It has a clip on the back so I just clipped a few of these to the tree.  I like how they are big and add another dimension to the tree.
This is the whole of my tree.
I took the green candle and white rocks out of my normal centerpiece and replaced it all with some extra green ornaments.


No comments: