Thursday, November 6, 2014

Activity Days: String Art Temple

A while ago we had an activity on temples. Since 8 year old girls don't sit still or listen for very long, I decided to do a craft along with the lesson. I had seen string art all over Pinterest and thought it could work for a temple.

One of the issues, however, was that the tutorials I saw all involved nails on wood boards. I was very much uninterested it handing nails and a hammer to the girls and I was also uninterested in doing all the hammering before the activity since I was never sure how many girls were going to show up (I think 2 showed up for this activity).

While walking around Jo-Ann for ideas, I came across these small, square cork boards and figured they, with push pins, would be perfect for 8 year olds. (I bought the clear push pins at Walmart because they were significantly cheaper there than Jo-Ann.)

Unfortunately the push pins didn't fit really well, they were longer than the cork board was thick. This means that the pointy end of the push pins would hang out the back or we had to be careful not to push the pins all the way through.

For the shape of the temple I drew out a few different designs on paper. The girls chose their design and cut it out. Then we placed the design on the cork board and put the push pins in around the edges of the design. Taking the paper out afterword was not as easy as I thought it would be so we ended up leaving a few scraps in there figuring the string would hide it. I had pre-cut long pieces of string and let the girls go to town filling in the shape.

Overall, it was an ok activity. I probably wouldn't do it again with this age group - maybe 11 year old girls - and I would definitely make sure the cork board was thick enough for the pins.

No comments: