Here are the instructions my sewing machine told me (it also had a picture, which was only a little helpful):
1. Raise needle to its highest position.
2. Raise presser bar to its highest position and guide the even feed/walking foot into position from rear of machine with arm on needle clamp.
3. Attach presser bar clamp to presser bar and tighten presser foot screw with screwdriver.
By the way, my machine is a Singer 7467S.
The picture helps a little (especially now that I really know what I'm doing) to figure out what the presser bar clamp and such are but the instructions never said to remove the regular shank, which is absolutely required in order to do step #3. So I was trying to attach the even feed/walking foot while the regular shank was still attached to the machine, which, obviously, didn't work very well.
Then I found this YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVczdRK_K6s. This video tutorial has a lot of information about a lot of different sewing machine feet. I had to wait until minute 11:30 to get to the even feed section, but it was totally worth it.
Here are my instructions with pictures.
Step One: Turn off the machine. It may be tempting to keep it on because it will add some light, but don't do it.
Step Two (optional): Remove the foot from the regular shaft by lightly pressing the Foot Release Button (purple arrow). This is optional because if you leave it on it with automatically come off in Step Three.
Step Three: Unscrew the Presser Foot Screw (blue arrow). In the video I linked to above, they make this look easy but it was not easy for me. I couldn't use the little screw driver deal that came with my machine, I had to go get a thick, flat head screwdriver to loosen it. Once the presser foot screw is loose, it is easy to unscrew by hand.
Step Four: Remove the Regular Shank from the Presser Bar (pink arrow).
Step Five: (mostly from the manual instructions) Guide the even feed/walking foot into position from the rear of the machine with the Arm (yellow arrow) on the Needle Clamp (brown arrow) and the Presser Bar Clamp (orange arrow) around the Presser Bar.
Step Six: Screw the presser foot screw back into it's place on the presser bar.
You should now be good to go.
I'm using the Even Feed/Walking Foot to help me quilt some hot pads I'm making. The hot pads have five layers (outside fabric, muslin for sturdiness, thick batting, muslin, outside fabric) and I wanted to make sure that every layer of my hot pad fed through the sewing machine evenly. Luckily the Walking Foot is perfect for this kind of task because it has feed dogs on the foot itself. This means that the feed dogs on the machine are feeding the bottom layers of fabric through the machine at the same time/rate that the feed dogs on the walking foot are feeding the top layers of fabric through the machine. A perfect combination.
Anyway, I love this foot and I very much wish I had know about it when I made my first quilt but I guess it is too late for that. Now that I know how to attach it to my machine I hope to get a lot of use out of it.




No comments:
Post a Comment