Tuesday, October 25, 2011

DIY: Receiving Blanket and Burp Cloths

It seems like everyone is having a baby and that's only a little bit of an exaggeration.  A little while ago it also seemed like every sewing place had flannel on sale, so I bought some and that's only a little bit of an understatement.

One of my fabric fabrics was a dinosaur fabric.  The store where I got it didn't have any of the dinosaur paw print fabric left so I went with a plain green fabric for my second fabric.  This is what I made:


1 receiving blanket, 3 regular burp cloths, and 4 burp cloths made from cloth diapers.  The steps for all were really simple (I don't do complicated things . . . yet).

After the fabric was cut, for anything I wanted to add an applique to, I added that next.  I probably would have done more but I didn't have enough fabric for more.  I chose a gray thread for this project because there are some gray rocks on the dinosaur printed fabric and I thought gray thread would bring the color of the rocks out nicely.




Receiving Blanket
Regular Burp Cloths
Next, for the receiving blanket and the regular burp cloths, I sewed the front sides of the fabric together leaving a small unsewn section.  Then I turned it right side out, ironed the sides flat, and sewed around the edges one more time.  Easy.  Each has dinosaurs on one side and plain green fabric on the other side.
Cloth Diaper Burp Cloths

For the other burp cloths I ended up being really glad that I bought the diapers that didn't have the three defined sections.  Without those sections, I could cut the fabric any size I wanted and wouldn't have to worry about it fitting perfectly into that middle section.  I simply cut the fabric, pinned it to the burp cloth while folding the edges under, then sewed around the edges.  Couldn't be easier.



Now all I need is a friend or family member to have a baby boy (is everyone having girls this year? really?) so I can gift these fabulous dinosaur products to him.

No comments: