Monday, July 11, 2011

Recipe: Honeyed-Orange Almond Chicken


Once upon time I read an article that spoke of all the great health benefits of honey. After reading the article I went to kraftrecipes.com and searched for recipes that included honey. Here is one that I found that I have loved - CJ likes it too.

The Recipe:

Honeyed-Orange Almond Chicken


2 Tbsp. honey
1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 cup orange marmalade
1/2 cup Sliced Almonds
Preheat broiler. Mix honey, salt and pepper; brush evenly on chicken. Place on rack of broiler pan.
Broil chicken 4 to 6 inches from heat 5 to 7 min. on each side or until cooked through (170ºF). Brush chicken with marmalade; sprinkle with almonds. Broil an additional 1 to 2 min. or until almonds are lightly toasted.
My Tips:
1. Don't Broil! I found out the first time that broiling chicken that has honey on it will make any honey that has made its way off the chicken and onto the pan bubble and burn and it smells like the food is burning when it really isn't.
Instead of broiling, bake the chicken at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes on each side (side 1 for 10 minutes, side 2 for 10 minutes, side 1 for 5 minutes, side 2 for 5 minutes). However, I do support broiling for the last minute or so to brown the almonds.
2. Don't Mix Other Ingredients With Honey. I don't recommend this because it makes the chicken turn out badly but because it is hard to mix anything with sticky honey.
Instead of mixing these ingredients, just put salt and pepper on the chicken, then drizzle the honey on the chicken.
3. Filet the Chicken. This is another tip for ease. I found that if I just put a chicken breast on the pan and put honey on it, the honey finds its way off the sides of the chicken pretty quickly.
Instead of just placing whole chicken breasts on the pan, cut each breast in half width wise. This will create a flat surface on which to put the honey (flat side up on the pan).
4. Use Tin Foil. Even with baking the chicken instead of broiling, the honey will make a bit of a mess, I recommend placing tin foil on the pan you use before you place the chicken on it.
I really like the flavor of this chicken, it is sweet with just a little orange taste and crunchy almonds. It is simple and pretty fast to make. I like to eat broccoli or green beans on the side with brown rice.
Nutritional Information (4 servings per recipe above):

No comments: