The first time CJ and I had pesto I made it from scratch. It is surprisingly easy to make. The recipe I used is:
- Put a handful of pine nuts and fresh basil in a food processor with some parmesean cheese and garlic cloves.
- Blend.
- While mixing with a spoon, add extra virgin olive oil until your pesto is the consistency you want it.
Pasta is a popular way to serve pesto but there are many other ways as well. My other favorite way in on a sandwich. Pesto can be added to a sandwich in addition to or as a replacement for miracle whip/mayo, mustard, relish, etc. One of my favorite sandwiches that has pesto on it is the Milano at Zupas. Delicious.
Here is a list of a few other ways that pesto can be used:
- With any kind of pasta including tortellini and ravioli.
- On pizza as the only sauce or mixed in with marinara or alfredo sauce.
- In Lasagna.
- On all kinds of sandwiches: turkey, chicken, grilled cheese, BLT.
- Mixed with sour cream or cream cheese as a dip for crackers.
- On tomatoes.
- Added to broccoli cheddar soup.
- A replacement for garlic butter on French or Italian bread.
- On baked chicken or fish.
- In stuffed tomatoes.
- With gnocchi.
- Added to mac & cheese.
The recipe I listed above is for basil pesto and the only kinds of pesto that CJ and I have purchased are also basil pesto, but there are many kinds of pesto. Other kinds are probably more difficult to find in stores but they are probably just as easy to make from scratch. Here is a list of types of pesto that I've heard of:
- Basil pesto.
- Mint pesto.
- Rosemary pesto.
- Cilantro pesto.
- Spinach pesto.
- Red pepper pesto.
- Arugula pesto.
- Parsley pesto.
- Walnut pesto (this could be any of the above pesto made with walnuts instead of pine nuts).
As I'm sure you noticed, one of the main ingredients in pesto is extra virgin olive oil. Because of this, some people might think that pesto isn't a very healthy option for cooking with. Of course, if pesto is consumed a lot, the consumer is going to consume quite a bit of fats and calories. However, when consumed in moderation, pesto is extremely healthy. Here is the nutritional information for the Costco variety pesto that I currently have in my refrigerator.
As you can see, there is quite a bit of fat per serving but most of that is the healthy, unsaturated fats. There is also a surprising amount of vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, iron, and protein with very little sodium and sugar.
To sum up: pesto is great. I hope everyone gives it a try to find out for themselves how great it really is.
No comments:
Post a Comment