Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My First DIY Project

To be fair I need to begin by saying that I didn't do this DIY project all on my own; I had a little help.

This project was inspired by the fact that I've been doing some shopping lately. In my shopping I've brought home quite a bit of new jewelry. Once I got it home I was reminded how little space my jewelry box had remaining. In fact, I ran out of space in that box a long time ago.

I started wondering how I could organize my jewelry in a way that it would all fit (with room to grow - I'm not about to stop adding to my collection) and in a way where I could actually see what I had. I was walking around work and saw a pegboard in one of the work rooms and thought that a pegboard would be the way to go, so I started by google search and came across this website.

I started on Friday by purchasing some pegboard, some pegboard accessories, black spray paint, and wood glue at Home Depot. While CJ and I were there the Home Depot people asked if we needed the pegboard cut. At this moment I realized that I should have purchased a frame first so I would know what size to have the Home Depot cut the pegboard. We took the uncut pegboard home.

On Saturday morning we bought a picture frame at Michaels. We probably could have spent less on the picture frame if I really wanted to do this the DIY way and make the frame myself but that was a little beyond the scope of this project. Once we had the frame we knew what size we needed the pegboard to be but CJ didn't have anything that could cut the pegboard. So we called my FIL thinking he would have something that would cut pegboard. He did not. FIL called a friend of his who did have the right equipment, so we went over there and got the pegboard cut.

The next step was to wash and dry the pegboard then paint it. I choose black for the pegboard and a black frame because I thought that would make the jewelry stand out nicely. I was also going to paint the pegboard accessories but they were so shiny and pretty when I took them out of the box that I couldn't bring myself to paint them. I think I made the right choice - plus they would have been a pain to paint.

The paint had to dry for about 24 hours so it was Sunday afternoon when I used the wood glue to attach the pegboard to the frame. This didn't go as well as I had hoped it would. The pegboard stuck just fine to the frame but since I don't have any clamps I had to stack heavy thinks on the pegboard to make sure the glue did its job. This prevented me from being able to wipe off excess glue while it was still wet. I tried to get some off after it was mostly dry but I wasn't as successful as I would have liked to have been.

I took Monday off and on Tuesday I had CJ help me actually put nails in the wall of our closet so we could hang the frame and pegboard. After it was stably on the wall I added the pegboard accessories and my jewelry. I'd say that overall it was a successful project - I was even able to put some of my not so heavy scarfs on it.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

WOW WOW WOW. seriously. wow. perhaps you should make me one. :) my jewelery box mess now has an answer....